Wednesday 16 November 2011

Romancing Mister Bridgerton by Julia Quinn

Title: Romancing Mister Bridgerton
Author: Julia Quinn
Series: The Bridgertons (book #4)
Previous in series: An Offer from A Gentleman
Next in series: To Sir Phillip, with Love

My rating: 4.5 Stars

Synopsis: Penelope Featherington has been in love with Colin Bridgerton for most of her life but has always known that her adoration is unrequited. Nevertheless, upon returning from a trip abroad, Colin discovers that Penelope is not what or who she seems and that she may just be the greatest threat to his sanity or perhaps the girl of his dreams…

Review: The Bridgerton books are definitely one of the best historical romance series. It is impossible to put the books down once you start so be prepared to spend a few hours without food when reading this one.

Penelope and Colin are my favorite couple. Don’t get me wrong, the characters in the other books are absolutely charming and I have my favorites – Simon in The Duke and I, and Kate in The Viscount who Loved Me but Colin and Penelope whose relationship grows from acquaintance to friendship to love is simply the best.

Penelope’s character appealed to me on many levels. She is intelligent, courageous, dignified and witty. Colin is a complete charmer but can be very obtuse at times. He takes his time realizing just how perfect Penelope is and is caught completely by surprise when he falls in love with her. The way in which he deals with his emotions and with Penelope’s secret is so touching.

As always, Quinn’s writing is excellent and the secondary characters are well fleshed out and supply some of the funniest moments, particularly, Colin’s youngest sister, Hyacinth. Her book should be a scream.

On a side note: readers learn the identity of the elusive Lady Whistledown in this book and I'm so glad that my guess turned out to be the right one.

In sum, don’t be surprised if you find yourself laughing, sighing and crying when reading this book.

2 comments:

  1. I ADORED this book. It's absolutely one of my most favourite Quinn's EVER. I love Colin and Penelope, and I love the Lady Whistledown thing. I wanted to flick back through all the books to try find clues :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite book in the series!

    ReplyDelete